By Neepa Sevak
You hope that an emergency never occurs, but if it does you need to be prepared. Part of being prepared is keeping an appropriately stocked and maintained homeopathic first aid kit. Emergencies are the situations which people are most anxious of and the least prepared for. Being prepared with a little understanding of homeopathic remedies can prevent a worse problem from developing in an emergency and even cure the problem. This is an astonishing power in the area of self healing. First aid means knowing what not to do and knowing what needs to be done.
There are many acute disorders and emergency situations. Some are caused by an illness or accident, others are caused by man-made toxins, and still others are caused by conventional medical drugs and procedures. Homeopathy can be of great assistance when dealing with minor injuries at home. Often an injury or illness is not serious enough to justify a trip to the doctor's office. In these cases homeopathy can aid in a swift and complete recovery or provide assistance before other help is available. It is a good idea to put together or purchase a homeopathic kit.
More and more individuals are turning to alternative medicines to treat the most common ailments. Homeopathic medicines are inexpensive and do not cause the unwanted side effects other medicines may instigate. The Homeopathic First Aid Kit includes remedies that you can use to treat your entire family. Now you can treat common problems in your own home naturally and inexpensively. Being self-sufficient in dealing with acute domestic disorders that are not life threatening is possible if you pay careful attention. I will give you the Homeopathic information to do this. But please understand that for chronic health problems, one needs to consult a true classical Homeopath. You may also prefer to consult with a Homeopath for your acute problems. Patients treated Homeopathically, even if they also need conventional treatment, experience less pain, have fewer side effects, and get well faster.
The basic principle of Homeopathic medicine may be confusing at first, but it actually makes sense that a small dose of a substance will help cure that which it causes in overdose.
Common First Aid Remedies
The following medicines are the most commonly used medicines to treat people in first aid situations. First Aid Remedies I usually suggest these be kept in 30C strength and in pellet form for stability as you are not using them all the time.
- Aconite: is a good remedy when chills, fevers, coughs, croup etc. come with a rapid onset. Also a great remedy for mental/emotional fright or shock after bad news, or an accident.
- Apis: Can be used for various types of swelling and inflammation caused by animal or insect bites and stings. Arnica: It is basically for any physical shock or trauma. Give first in any accident or injury, for bruises, bumps and bangs. Use in ointment where the skin is unbroken, if broken use Calendula or Hypercal. Never to be used on open wounds. Also works well for nosebleed. Arnica promotes rapid healing of damaged tissues; helps control bleeding and reduce pain. It can be taken before and after dental extractions and any other surgery. It has antithrombotic properties and can be taken before lengthy airplane flights to help prevent DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis).
- Antimonium Crudum: Works very good for sunstrokes – heat strokes. A very good summer remedy.
- Arsenicum: One of the leading remedies for diarrhea, especially from food poisoning and flu. It is a perfect remedy to relieve “upset tummy” from unfamiliar foods.
- Calcarea Carb.: for slow difficult teething in children.
- Carbo Veg.: is a No. 1 Remedy for resuscitation. It is also called the "Homoeopathic corpse reviver". This remedy has saved many lives. Symptoms at their most extreme are complete state of collapse due to oxygen starvation. Body is cold, pale or blue.
- Calendula: It is nature’s own natural antibiotic and also stops bleeding very well. Use in an ointment form for open wounds, cuts, sores, burns, and similar injuries. Helps relieve infection.
- Cantharis: For burns, particularly ones that blister.
- Chamomila: A favorite child’s remedy particularly for ear ache and teething.
- China: for dehydration. Complaints often arise after loss of fluids / severe dehydration (e.g. after fever or diarrhea).
- Cocculus: For sea sickness and travel sickness.
- Colocynth: For colic, tummy aches, diarrhea.
- Hepar Sulphuricum: For sore throats, or loss of voice.
- Hypericum: Have great anti-tetanus properties. For injuries to parts with high nerve fibres such as the mouth, tongue, fingers, etc. Great for the "caught the finger in the car door" or any other "crush" injuries. I also use it for paper cuts, it closes them up immediately.
- Ignatia: It is one of the most useful remedies for "emotional first aid", and works wonders for any emotional upsets, shocks, and traumas.
- Ipecac: For nausea and vomiting.
- Kali Bichromicum: Excellent remedy for colds and sinusitis.
- Ledum: is a very good remedy for puncture wounds and black eyes. It also can be used to treat deep wounds and bites from both animals and insects. This remedy also has anti-tetanus properties.
- Magnesium Phos: Known as the Homoeopathic aspirin. Very effective If crushed in warm water and sipped. Is useful for neuralgia of the face, cramping or shooting pains, relieves headaches, toothaches, earaches and especially menstrual pain.
- Nux Vomica: For indigestion, nausea, vomiting, and hangover headaches. It is a major remedy for first aid situations, especially those affecting the digestive system. Can also be taken for travel sickness.
- Silicea: is a very good remedy for forcing foreign bodies like splinters, thorns, glass, etc., out of the body. Do not use if you have anything artificial in your body like a new hip joint, pace maker, grommets, implants, metal pins, etc. as it may cause rejection.
Using Homeopathic Medicines
Homeopathic medicines are delicate and need careful handling. Touch them as little as possible. Shake one pill into the lid of the bottle and put it onto the palm of the person taking the medicine. They should put it straight into the mouth allowing it to dissolve under the tongue. If possible give the dose half an hour before or after having anything to eat or drink, cleaning your teeth or smoking. Obviously this does not apply in an emergency where it should be given as soon as possible. You can crush and dissolve remedies in water to give to infants and children. Do not swallow the pill down with water, tea or coffee.
The goal of this information is to help you in emergency situations or get some basic self help for acute problems by giving you immediate access to simple first aid medicines. The above information should help you built a home remedy kit that has all of the first aid remedies. It also contains the most common remedies for more serious conditions such as eye or ear infections which you would need to be in consultation with your Homeopathic practitioner about. With the home remedy kit in hand when you call your Homeopath you will save time and be able to give the needed remedy immediately in most instances. However whatever the problem it must be, I strongly emphasize that if any of these conditions do not readily yield to treatment or appear to be serious professional help must be sought.