By Neepa Sevak
Have you spent a fortune on various products and medications which affirm to give you a perfect skin - only to realize that your condition becomes worse and worse? From age 10 to 40 and beyond, Acne is a condition that apprehends almost everyone at some time in their lives. Acne also known as Pimples is the expression for plugged pores that crop up on the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders and even the upper arms. Acne can lead to perpetual scarring causing significant impact on a person's outlook on life which could lead to lack of self-confidence, anxiety and depression.
Types of Acne
Acne Vulgaris surfaces in various shapes, size and different colors:
- Whiteheads: These appear when a pore is entirely blocked, trapping oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells causing a white appearance on the surface.
- Blackheads: These materialize when a pore is only partially blocked, allowing the trapped oil, bacteria, and dead skin cells to slowly drain to the surface. The black color is not caused by dirt, but it a reaction of the skin’s own pigment, melanin reacting with the oxygen in the air.
- Papules: These are small, inflamed, red, tender bumps with no head and are tender to touch.
- Pustules: This is similar to a whitehead, but is red-looking with white or yellow pus in the center.
- Nodules: This is a severe kind of Acne, in which the lesions are much larger, more painful, lodged deep within the skin and sometimes lasts for months, leaving scars.
- Cysts: This is also a severe kind of Acne and appears similar to a nodule, but larger than a pustule; the lesions are deep, pus filled, very painful and leave scars.
- Acne Rosacea: This occurs in women over 30 years of age. It appears as a bumpy, red rash on the cheeks, nose, forehead and chin.
- Acne Conglobata: This is the most severe form of Acne which occurs in numerous large lesions more common in males between the age of 18 and 30 years. It can cause severe damage to the skin and is seen on the face, chest, back, buttocks, upper arms and thighs.
- Acne Fulminans: This is an ulcerating form of Acne affecting young men. It can cause awful scarring, with fever and joint aches.
- Gram-Negative Folliculitis: This kind of Acne is in the form of pustules and cysts caused by a bacterial infection. It can possibly occur as a complication resulting from long term antibiotic treatment of Acne Vulgaris.
- Pyoderma Faciale: This is an extremely severe type of facial Acne with large nodules, pustules and sores leaving scars affecting only females between the ages of 20 and 40 years.
Causes of Acne
- Cause may be unidentified.
- An increase of male sex hormone termed androgen in both boys and girls during puberty.
- Hormonal changes related to birth control pills, before a menstrual period, during pregnancy.
- Vitamin deficiency.
- Oily cosmetics.
- Pressure from sports helmet, backpacks, tight collars, etc.
- Environmental irritants.
- Hard scrubbing of the skin.
- Chronic constipation.
- Acne can run in families.
- Stress does not cause acne but can make it worse.
Homeopathic Approach to Acne
Homeopathy considers Acne as an expression of the internal hormonal process, which justifies treatment at the inner level rather than treating it at the skin surface by local applications. Homeopathy offers splendid treatment in cases of Acne, which is effective, harmless and without any side-effects. A constitutional Homeopathic treatment will stimulate the body’s own natural healing ability which will help remove toxins, rebalance skin PH, will improve circulation of nutrients to the skin and finally soothe and moisturize the skin for a spotless glow. In addition to healing existing lesions, it will forbid new lesions from forming, prevent scarring and also minimize the psychological stress caused by Acne. Homeopathy has an exceptional proven safety record with the FDA with 200 years of clinical effectiveness. Homeopathic remedies are inexpensive, easy to take, are regulated by the FDA and prepared according to the Homeopathic Pharmacopeia of the United States.
Self Care Measures
- Take a warm shower to soften your skin.
- Clean skin very gently with a mild cleanser, avoid harsh scrubs.
- Use oil and alcohol free cosmetics and facial products.
- Clean all makeup at bedtime.
- Avoid irritating your facial skin by rubbing or touching it too much
- Men who have acne must shave vigilantly and gently.
- Avoid sunburn or suntan.
- Shampoo hair regularly.
- Do not squeeze, scratch or pick pimples, it may lead to infection or scarring.
- Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Wash your pillowcase often and always use clean face towels to prevent bacterial re-infection.
- Shower immediately after a workout since sweat when combines with skin oils can trap bacteria in your pores.
- Use 2-3 tsp of dried basil leaves to 1 cup boiling water, let it cool and then apply to your skin. Let it dry and then clean with slightly warm water.
- Paste made from mashed papaya with slight honey when used as a facial mask, will heal acne lesions.
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water a day to detoxify your body.
Hence, to eliminate Acne for ever, for a clear improvement in the skin’s overall condition and to get a clean and healthy radiance to your face consider Homeopathy.