By Neepa Sevak
Homeopathic Flu Treatment
With the flu season coming up, you need to be well educated and prepared to fight the Influenza virus. Although we have all suffered from influenza (flu) one time or another, many people don't realize that the flu can be a severe illness. The term "flu" is used very freely these days and can mean anything from a slightly raised temperature with a bit of nasal congestion to full blown influenza. Influenza (flu) is a contagious viral illness caused by Influenza viruses A and B. Type A is normally responsible for the epidemic that occur annually. These viruses may have different strains, called subtypes, that are different from the original virus but retain some of its characteristics. Strains of influenza virus that cause the flu may differ from year to year.
Most people recover easily without problems within one to two weeks, but sometimes the illness leads to a bacterial infection, such as an ear infection, sinus infection, bronchitis, or pneumonia. Most deaths occur in elderly persons or in persons with a weak immune system. People with a history of asthma or bronchial problems, pregnant women and children between 6 months and 23 months of age also are at increased risk from flu complications. Adults may be contagious from 1 day before developing symptoms to up to 7 days after getting sick. Children can be contagious for longer than 7 days.
Symptoms of Influenza
Flu can cause fever, nasal congestion, dry cough, sore throat, shivering chills, body ache, headache, fatigue, and sometimes gastro-intestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Homeopathic Approach to Influenza
In Allopathic medicine there is no treatment for flu. Allopathic medicines work to suppress the body’s natural reaction. Antibiotics cannot improve the response of the immune system. One can only use an allopathic remedy to cover the symptoms for a few hours and wait for the virus to run its course. Whereas, homeopathic medicines can actually fight the virus. There are many Homeopathic remedies that can rapidly improve the symptoms and restore a state of health. Treatment is safe and effective for both children and adults. A homeopathic medicine will stimulate your immune system so that the illness can be resolved as rapidly and with as little discomfort as possible.
Homeopathic medicines work on an entirely different principle; it doesn’t interfere with the natural immune response but works alongside it by enhancing one’s ability to fight an infection, thus making a person more able to effectively destroy a virus. Also, homeopathy can prevent a flu patient from developing post-viral complications like ear infections, allergies, or even asthma. Based on homeopathic principles the Homeopathic practitioner believes that influenza is not a specific illness with a single cause, but an individual response to a combination of causes. Faced with a certain set of circumstances one person will develop symptoms whereas another person will not. Based on the classical approach of Homeopathy a Homeopathic practitioner looks at the person holistically, that is mind, body and emotion together and not just at the symptoms of the illness.
Homeopathic treatment enhances resistance to infection. Patients undergoing Homeopathic treatment often notice that they get fewer colds and flu's because their general level of health has been improved.
Homeopathic Medicines for Influenza
This information is not designed to provide or suggest treatment. Please consult with your homeopathic practitioner for further information or schedule an appointment with a homeopathic practitioner.
A. Influenza Presenting with Predominantly Weakness
1. Gelsemium; slow onset; dizzy, drowsy and dull; sometimes brought on by anticipation; fine tremor esp hands; apathetic; look sick; want to be left alone; dusky color; chills going up back; HA occipital; keynote is HA >urinating large amount; much aching; want to be propped up in bed; worse thunderstorms, bad news(main remedy), fright, thinking about symptoms; thirstless; loquacity during fever
2. Arsenicum: weak flu; restlessness, anxiousness; desire for company and want to be taken care of; fear of death; chilly; thirsty for warm sips; 12-3 aggravation; burning; diarrhea; stomach better warmth; need things neat around them; arsenicum iodatum looks similar-warmer and more swollen glands
B. Influenza Presenting with Predominantly Aching/Pain
1. Bryonia; very sick; need to focus all their attention on getting better; worse motion; don’t want to talk; don’t want to drink often due to motion yet thirsty so drink large amounts infrequently; pressure relieves; will lie on part; get irritable when pushed; delirium at times; think about business all the time and want to go home; worse 9 PM; desire cold but stomach c/o are better warm; also consider Cham(9 AM, irritable, don’t want to be touched)-diff by wanting to be carried; side to side motion of the mouth; coughs, can be a GI flu
2. Eupatorium: Pain is deeper and in bones; tremendous pain; more intense; back aches; chills in the back which spread around the whole body; chilly but want ice; worse motion due to aching-may seem similar to Bryonia(complains more of joints); similar to causticum-both have hoarseness worse AM; will often relapse
3. Rhus Tox(big remedy for flus); lots of aches and pains; amel continued motion and worse initial motion; worse in AM on rising; get tired and restless-go through vicious cycle; dampness, before storm, chilled, overwork makes worse; >warmth, hot bath; stretch alot trying to work out kinks; tongue is peculiar; red triangle on tip;
4. Arnica; overwork may bring on; don’t want to be touched; will minimize symptoms(Mind, well, when quite sick); fear at night; sleepy state-will come to and fall asleep again(Baptisia)
5. Pyrogen: Intense bone aching
C. Influenza Presenting with Gastrointestinal Symptoms
1. Arsenicum: weak flu; restlessness, anxiousness; desire for company and want to be taken care of; fear of death; chilly; thirsty for warm sips; 12-3 aggravation; burning; diarrhea; stomach better warmth; need things neat around them; arsenicum iodatum looks similar-warmer and more swollen glands
2. Pyrogen: Intense bone aching
3. Baptisia: turns rapidly into septic state; stuporous mental state; rouse to answer but then fall back to sleep; delirium; delusion that all the body parts are disconnected; besotted expression; yellow tongue; profound GI flu; putrid offensive DC; may need another remedy to finish(Ars,Bry); fear to go asleep-suffocate
D. Influenza Presenting With High Fevers
1. Mercury: suppuration, pus; offensiveness; offensive odor to breath; any DC is foul; throat has exudate; bad or metallic taste in mouth; indented tongue; salivation; thirsty and want cold drinks; human thermometer; get hot an uncover and then get cold and goes back and forth
2. Baptisia: turns rapidly into septic state; stuporous mental state; rouse to answer but then fall back to sleep; delirium; delusion that all the body parts are disconnected; besotted expression; yellow tongue; profound GI flu; putrid offensive DC; may need another remedy to finish(Ars,Bry); fear to go asleep-suffocate
3. Pyrogen: high fever but pulse doesn’t go up(also vice versa); ache in bones; worse cold and better heat; restless and better motion; going towards coma, but may see loquaciousness; can’t tell if dreaming or awake; thirst for cold drinks; horribly offensive DC(use when Baptisia doesn’t work); are very sick and often need to be in the hospital; delirium; use after abortions or childbirth with sepsis
4. Arsenicum: weak flu; restlessness, anxiousness; desire for company and want to be taken care of; fear of death; chilly; thirsty for warm sips; 12-3 aggravation; burning; diarrhea; stomach better warmth; need things neat around them; arsenicum iodatum looks similar-warmer and more swollen glands
E. Influenzas Presenting with Respiratory Symptoms
1. Arsenicum and Ars Iod: weak flu; restlessness, anxiousness; desire for company and want to be taken care of; fear of death; chilly; thirsty for warm sips; 12-3 aggravation; burning; diarrhea; stomach better warmth; need things neat around them; arsenicum iodatum looks similar-warmer and more swollen glands
2. Tuberculinum; restless; similar modalities to Rhus Tox; pains migrate; chilly from uncovering; loquacity during fever
3. Euphrasia; acrid lacrimation and bland coryza
Prevention of Influenza
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick. You will help prevent others from catching your illness.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
- Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
Recurrent flu indicates a weakened immune system. In such cases, constitutional treatment by a professional Homeopath is highly recommended. Homeopathy shortens each flu phase and, if taken constitutionally, can prevent the disease altogether. Hence, for a safe, natural, effective, and long-lasting answer for influenza (flu), consider homeopathy.
Oscillococcinum is useful in influenza treatment and prevention when used in the first 48 hours.