By Neepa Sevak
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is one of the most common gastrointestinal disorders seen these days and is sometimes referred to as spastic colon, mucous colitis, spastic colitis, nervous stomach or irritable colon. It is a functional disorder in which the large intestine does not work as it should and causes significant discomfort even though it is not a serious health threat.
Symptoms of IBS
- Abdominal pain or cramping that may go away after a bowel movement
- Bloating or gas in abdomen
- Change in bowel pattern such as loose or more frequent bowel movements
- Diarrhea especially after eating or first thing in the morning
- Mucus in stool
- Feeling a strong urge to have a bowel movement
- Feeling that you have not finished a bowel movement
Causes of IBS
There may be many causes of IBS. Anything that affects the production of friendly bacteria in the gut can lead to this syndrome. Some factors that may predispose to IBS are:
- A genetic tendency
- Excessive stress
- Food allergies – like wheat, barley, sugar, yeast, milk, beef, pork, corn, orange juice and many more
- A low fiber diet
- Infestation with intestinal parasites
- Abuse of laxatives, antibiotics and steroids
Homeopathic Approach to IBS
Gastric disorders often imitate the emotional eruption at the physical level. If you treat them without understanding the mind-body connection, it will turn out to be superficial. Every disease is considered a mind-body process where your personality traits are as important as your physical symptoms thus taking into account diet, lifestyle, personality, surroundings and emotional factors
Homeopathy uses natural remedies to successfully treat the symptoms, helping the person to heal and to reach a state of balance and health. The natural approach is also safe with no side effects. The deep seated disease requires deep root treatment which homeopathy can offer. Detail case taking allows us to understand the factors that are commonly affecting the individual. The chosen remedy relieves the characteristic mental and physical signs and symptoms, and an individualistic or constitutional approach is adapted. As psychosocial factors play a major role in IBS this approach does offer long term relief to the patients. Constitutional homeopathic treatment with the management of an experienced and professional homeopath is an excellent choice for the treatment of IBS.
Self Care Measures
- Avoid foods like french fries, milk products like cheese, ice cream, chocolates, alcohol, caffeine and carbonated drinks like soda that will intensify the symptoms of IBS.
- Large meals can cause cramping and diarrhea. So try eating four or five meals a day or have your usual three meals but eat less at each meal.
- Stress can trigger your symptoms too. Hence, learning to reduce stress can help reduce cramping and pain.
- Eating foods with fiber can reduce the symptoms of IBS.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid frequent use of laxatives. You may become dependent on them and your intestines may become weakened.
- Meditation and exercise along with homeopathic medicines may help too.
Hence, for a safe, natural, effective and long lasting answer for IBS, consider homeopathy.