By Neepa Sevak
Are you having trouble dealing with normal worries, and are at all times terrified about awful things that could possibly happen? Are you also agitated by persistent, useless, disturbing thoughts, and repetitive behavior such as hand washing, counting, checking or cleaning that is beyond your control, then you are probably suffering from a disorder known as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). OCD is an anxiety disorder similar to Schizophrenia where the brain reiterates the apprehensive thoughts or obsessions, and the behaviors done to defuse these thoughts are called compulsions. The difference between OCD and other compulsive behaviors like gambling, overeating or substance abuse is that these activities provide pleasure, whereas the compulsions of OCD are never pleasurable. To understand better, OCD is an inbuilt prevailing unconscious phobia that compels the patient to compensate by performing repetitive actions to tone down the anxiety.
Causes of OCD
- Streptococcal infections
- Low estrogen levels
- Serotonin deficiency in the brain
- Calcium and Magnesium deficiency
- Certain drugs and alcohol
- Shocking childhood events that could have ushered self denial and low self esteem
- Stress and Psychological factors
Symptoms of OCD
- Irrational thoughts and behavior
- Fanatically meticulous about details
- Mental pre-occupation
- Confess or repeatedly ask for reassurance
- Repeat saying things and ask questions over and over again
- Repeated actions like hand washing and counting
- Skin lesions because of frequent washing of hands or picking at skin
- Hair loss because of hair pulling
- Repeated clearing of throat even though nothing may need to be cleared
- Checking things over and over again such as doors, locks, etc.
- Sexual obsessions, replaying pornographic images in mind
- Keep things incredibly clean due to fear of contamination
- Must feel both sides of the body evenly
- Images of death or other horrifying events
Homeopathic Approach to OCD
Homeopathic constitutional therapy is remarkably effective in rebalancing the patient's mental, emotional, and physical well-being, allowing the behaviors of OCD to abate over time. Homeopathic medicines can be used very successfully to treat anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, will influence your moods and assist you in breaching your habits and stop your compulsive behavior. Homeopathic remedies will work like a stimulus to awaken OCD sufferers who are in a nightmare like state, and help shift their attention from their myths, compulsions and behaviors to actuality. Homeopathic remedies have also shown impressive results in helping OCD patients think about themselves as a confident person rather than a person with OCD. Homeopathic treatment is the most curative, non-toxic, gentle and modern treatment. In view of the fact that it works with the person’s own vital force towards equilibrium and healing, it will influence the brain chemistry and assist the patient in resuming psychological strength and symmetry. Based on the classical approach, homeopathic understanding of health believes that body and mind are dynamically interconnected and that both directly influence each other.
Self Care Measures
- Learn about your disorder so that you can identify the myths and realities.
- Take your medications regularly as directed by your homeopathic practitioner.
- Avoid alcohol and illicit drugs.
- Get involved in social activities, rather than isolating yourself.
- Procure support of loved ones who can offer encouragement in tough times.
How to Care for Loved Ones With OCD
- Be understanding.
- Do not be insensitive or impatient regarding their rituals, and avoid trying to stop OCD rituals.
- Encourage your loved one to see a homeopathic practitioner.
Hence, to improve the quality of life by achieving a consequential, everlasting relief from OCD consider homeopathy.